Here’s my AP ballot for this week:
1. Ohio State (18-0) *2 – The Buckeyes won a pair of close games – at Michigan and against Penn State. Jared Sullinger has received all the accolades, but fellow frosh Aaron Craft was terrific against the Nittany Lions with 19 points.
2. Kansas (17-0) *3 – Marcus Morris had 33 points and 13 boards as the Jayhawks squeezed past Iowa State on the road and Morris finished with 16 pints and 11 boards in another close win, this time against Nebraska.
3. San Diego State (19-0) *4 – Kawhi Leonard averaged 17 points and 16 boards in a pair of wins – at home against UNLV and on the road at The Pit against New Mexico. Point guard D.J. Gay went for a career-high 30 points against UNM.
4. Syracuse (18-0) *5 – The Orange had no problems beating St. John’s on the road and also cruised past Cincinnati at home.
5. Pittsburgh (17-1) *6 – The Panthers got a road win at Georgetown and then smacked Seton Hall at home. Gary McGhee had a double-double against Seton Hall.
6. Duke (16-1) *1 – The Blue Devils lost their first game of the season in Tallahassee to Florida State before beating Virginia at home over the weekend.
7. UConn (14-2) *7 – The Huskies got another strong game from Alex Oriakhi in a win against Rutgers and then it was Kemba Walker’s turn again with 31 in a victory at DePaul.
8. Villanova (16-1) *8 – Corey Stokes had 23 and Mouph Yarou finished with 18 points and 11 boards in a win over Louisville and it was Maalik Wayns who led ‘Nova with 22 in a come-from-behind victory over Maryland.
9. Texas (14-3) *11 – The Longhorns crushed Texas Tech in Lubbock and then cruised past Oklahoma at home.
10. Kentucky (14-3) *12 – The Wildcats got 35 points from Terrence Jones in a rout over Auburn and John Calipari’s club also had no problems with LSU.
11. BYU (17-1) *13 – JImmer Fredette lit up Utah for 47 points early in the week.
12. Texas A&M (16-1) *14 – The Aggies continue to surprise with a rout over Oklahoma State and then an overtime victory against Missouri.
13. Notre Dame (14-4) *9 – The Irish were swept this week on the road against Marquette and St. John’s.
14. Wisconsin (13-4) *19 – The Badgers lost at Michigan State, but then got a huge game from Jon Leuer (26 points, nine rebounds in a 10-point home win over Illinois.
15. Minnesota (14-4) *23 – The Gophers knocked off Purdue at home, 70-67, behind Blake Hoffarber’s 26 points. Tubby Smith’s team also beat Iowa on Sunday.
16. Gonzaga (13-5) *24 – The ‘Zags beat up on Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount this week. Robert Sacre averaged 21 points in the two wins.
17. Michigan State (12-5) *NR – After a week out of the poll, the Spartans return after wins in East Lansing against Wisconsin and Northwestern.
18. Missouri (15-3) *10 – After beating Nebraska, the Tigers came up short in an overtime setback to Texas A&M in College Station. Marcus Denmon averaged 23 in the two games.
19. Temple (12-4) *17 – The Owls pounded St. Bonaventure to start the week, but then lost, 78-66, at Duquesne as Lavoy Allen and Juan Fernandez combined for just 14 points.
20. Saint Mary’s (16-2) *22 – The Gaels beat up on San Francisco and Santa Clara. Mickey McConnell had 18 points and 13 assists against Kerry Keating’s squad.
21. Illinois (13-5) *16 – The Illini had a tough week, losing road games to Penn State and Wisconsin. Mike Davis didn’t have a single rebound against the Badgers.
22. West Virginia (12-4) *NR – Bob Huggins’ team breaks into the poll after a rout over Providence and a home win against Purdue.
23. Purdue (15-3) *15 – The Boilermakers came up empty in a pair of road games against Minnesota and West Virginia.
24. Georgia (13-3) *21 – The Bulldogs lost down at Vandy, but rebounded with a win at Ole Miss.
25. Georgetown (13-5) *25 – The Hoyas continue to struggle, although there’s no shame losing to Pittsburgh – even at home. Georgetown finally got back on track with a road victory at Rutgers.
Dropped Out: No. 18 Washington (13-3); No. 20 Central Florida (14-2)